Description & Features
This colorful, engaging 272-page book develops critical thinking skills necessary for success in reading, writing, math, science, social studies, and standardized tests in Grades K-1. It uses a series of lessons with math manipulatives and language integration techniques to teach thinking skills. This program is designed to:
- Improve young children's observation and description skills
- Stimulate vocabulary development
- Clarify thinking processes that underlie content learning (observing, describing/defining, identifying similarities and differences, sequencing, classifying, and recognizing analogy)
- Improve students’ conceptualization of mathematics, social studies and science concepts taught in the primary grades
The five cognitive skills developed in this series (describing, finding similarities and differences, sequencing, classifying, and forming analogies) were selected because of their prevalence in academic disciplines and their frequency in objective tests. Since improved school performance is an important goal of thinking skills instruction, many variations of each of these thinking skills are promoted in the activities.
Thinking skills are sequenced in the order in which a child develops intellectually. A child first learns to observe and describe objects, to recognize the characteristics of an object, and then to distinguish similarities and differences between the objects. Describing, comparing, and contrasting skills are necessary to a child's ability to put things in order, to group items by class, and to think analogically.
Manipulatives - (Required, Sold Separately)
Building Thinking Skills® Primary requires the use of Attribute Blocks and Interlocking Cubes (required, sold separately).
Teaching Support - (Optional, Sold Separately)
Activities are modeled to reinforce reasoning skills and concepts. A Teacher's Manual eBook, optional, is sold separately.
|Author(s):||Sandra Parks and Howard Black|
|TOC:||View Table Of Contents|
2014 Practical Homeschooling Reader Awards™ - 3rd Place, Logic Category 2015 Practical Homeschooling Reader Awards™ - 2nd Place, Logic Category Cathy Duffy 101 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum Cathy Duffy Top 100 Award Creative Child Magazine Seal of Excellence Award Dr. Toy 100 Best Children's Products Learning® Magazine Recommended Resource for Successful Teaching Learning® Magazine Teacher's Choice Award Mensa Recommended Materials for the Gifted Parent Tested, Parent Approved (PTPA) Seal of Approval Parent Tested, Parent Approved Winner's Seal Practical Homeschooling Magazine 2nd Place Reader Award The National Parenting Center Seal of Approval The Old Schoolhouse Magazine 1st Place 2012 Excellence in Education Award The Well-Trained Mind Recommended Resource for Logic and Critical Thinking
Product Reviews Write a review for this product
- "I started purchasing The Critical Thinking Co.™ products when my children were toddlers. They were early readers so we wanted to reinforce their abilities with a structured program that we could continue for years. Building Thinking Skills® and Dr. DooRiddles were excellent products to jump start our children into formalized learning. And the best part is that they were having FUN while learning! Besides providing excellent educational material, The Critical Thinking Company™ has incomparable customer service. They have helped me order the appropriate products, install the software, and been a continuous source of encouragement throughout the years. I cannot imagine homeschooling without their products and support." - Liseetsa, OH
- "Prepares students' minds for logic." - Nathaniel, Muscatine, IA
- "Students who are still acquiring English face a lack of background knowledge in English and the skills necessary to process the new information. Building Thinking Skills® has helped me meet both these challenges, and I have test scores and happy faces to back this up." - Britta, ESL Department, Tucson, AZ
- "Well-sequenced concepts are introduced at low levels and build to appropriate higher levels.…One of the outstanding differentiating features of the materials is its heavy emphasis on student verbalizations." - Arithmetic Teacher
- "Building Thinking Skills® Primary is an essential foundational tool in helping children develop thinking abilities and recognize key relationships both verbally and spatially." - Paul Cates, Ph.D.
- "The ability to think clearly and to reason are equally as important as the ability to read or to write....[W]e have found the Building Thinking Skills® books to be the best of the various critical thinking products available." - Ellen, Crossville, TN
- "The #1 selling thinking skills program in the world and I can see why! These authors have written one of the most effective books for teaching/learning thinking skills." - Merrilee Defoe, Reviewer
- "Probably the best purchase I made this year. My kids loved it and got a lot out of it. Helps raise test scores!" - Parent, via the Internet
- "I have twins who have always done above-average work but have never tested anywhere near the top. We did an intensive study of Building Thinking Skills® in the weeks before they tested. To my surprise, their scores were in the 98th and 99th percentile across the board. I failed to give them practice the next time around and their scores went down. Now they're back at the top again and I know that Building Thinking Skills was what helped them." - Sharon, Forestville, MD
- "Building Thinking Skills® Primary was wonderful for helping my son with spatial/attribute thinking." - Ruth, via the Internet
Test preparation available for the following:
Building Thinking Skills® Primary guarantees top performance on assessment tests, including
Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test® (NNAT®)
Cognitive Abilities Test™ (CogAT®)
Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) / Talented and Gifted (TAG)
Otis-Lennon School Ability Test® (OLSAT®)
Wechsler Intelligence Scales for Children® (WISC®)
Primary Test of Cognitive Skills™ (PTCS)
and many more!