Description & Features
This 48-page book is packed full of brain-scratching riddles that develop students' fluency and understanding of word meanings and associations. These riddles also develop spelling, vocabulary, reading, critical thinking and creative problem-solving skills.
Perceiving relationships between words, ideas, and concepts is called associative reasoning, which is a skill necessary for creative thought. Riddle solving requires students to use important skills of associative, inductive, and divergent thinking to find the answers. Students will learn to recognize important ideas, examine these ideas from different points of view, and then find connections between the ideas. These teachable skills are essential for efficient, successful, open-ended problem-solving of all kinds.
Students carefully read or are read a riddle. They then analyze the first part of the riddle to try to identify the target word. Next, they read the second part of the riddle to determine whether to add, delete, or change the letters of the target word to produce the second word which is the riddle's solution. Solving the riddles requires students to evaluate homonyms, synonyms, homophones, prefixes, roots, and suffixes in order to deduce and spell whole and partial word answers. This book includes practice activities, suggestions, and answers.
Our eBooks are electronic versions of the book pages that you may print to any paper printer. You can open the PDF eBook from any device or computer that has a PDF reader such as Adobe® Reader®. You can immediately download your eBook from "My Account" under the "My Downloadable Product" section after you place your order.
|Author(s):||John H. Doolittle|
|TOC:||View Table Of Contents|
|Type:||Student Book with Answers|
Product Reviews Write a review for this product
- "Challenging and fun. Contains scores of rhyming riddles calculated to train the mind in the skills necessary to solve problems creatively." - Craig, Birmingham, AL
- "Our 4 year old had no problem solving some of the riddles from the first book, but we can't say the same for her parents and the stumpers in the third book. Challenging and fun, this series contains scores of rhyming riddles calculated to train the mind in the skills necessary to solve problems creatively." - Craig, Birmingham, AL
- "My 5th grader enjoys Dr. DooRiddles so much he doesn't want to stop. If he could, he would do them all day." - Ann, Iowa Falls, IO
- "Each book in this fun resource contains riddles to challenge the 'creative and critical thinking skills' of students. Useful for vocabulary development and enrichment." - Media Evaluation Services, Raleigh, NC
- "Each book in this fun teacher resource...[will] challenge the creative and critical thinking skills of students. Solutions are 'multiple-category' and require the use of association, induction, and divergent thinking." - NC Dept. Of Public Instruction
- "The Dr. DooRiddles books are fun for children but are not just for enjoyment and not merely an add-on to regular studies. They foster the important component of higher-order thinking so vital to initiate and develop in the early childhood years." - Dr. Paul Cates, Oliver Springs, TN
- "One of my younger children had processing delays. Dr. DooRiddles was invaluable in building the necessary verbal skills and rebuilding confidence. In fact, I recommend it even for adults." - Kathe, Garland, TX
Test preparation available for the following:
Dr. DooRiddles® prepares students for many assessment tests, including
Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence™ (WPPSI™)
Primary Test of Cognitive Skills™ (PTCS) and many more!