Description & Features
Analogies occur in life and frequently in high-stakes tests. Understanding analogies and the ability to reason analogically (reasoning used to identify, evaluate, and solve an analogy) are important problem-solving skills which are an essential part of mathematical development. The immediate benefit is to recognize and solve simple analogies. The long-term benefits are improved reasoning skills that enable students to break problems into their component parts, recognize analogies embedded in arguments, and evaluate them.
The 152 analogies in this program teach students to break problems down into their component parts, making it easier to recognize familiar formats that enable students to produce solutions. These analogies are designed around the grade-appropriate standards identified by the National Council of Teaching Mathematics.
Important Notes: This software is for Windows® operating system only and will not work on Mac OS X (an iPad version is available). See System Requirements for more details. Also, this software is for single-user only and does not save data for multiple users.
Downloadable Software Ordering
Downloadable software can be immediately downloaded from "My Account" under the "My Downloadable Product" section after you place your order.
|Author(s):||Linda and Doug Brumbaugh|
|TOC:||View Table Of Contents|
|Type:||Windows PC Software|
|License:||2 Computer License|
Please see our Online Software Support help website for assistance with handling any issues you may encounter while installing or playing this software on the below operating systems.
Platform: Windows® 10/8/7/Vista
CPU: 1 GHz or faster
Creative Child Magazine 2014 Media of the Year Award, Educational Software Category Dr. Toy Best Smart Play / Smart Toy Product iParenting Media Award iParenting Media Excellent Products Texas Association for the Gifted and Talented Legacy Book Award Nominee
Product Reviews Write a review for this product
- "When it comes to teaching our kids mathematics, we tend to see only addition, subtraction, multiplication and division problems but fail to think about critical thinking skills. Having children solve analogies helps to make new and unfamiliar concepts more meaningful to students by connecting what they already know to what they are learning. Teaching these skills at an early level will carry though with them through higher levels of not only mathematics but all subjects of study. The Critical Thinking Co. understands the importance of these skills. Overall, my kids really liked what they dubbed “Owl Math” (the mascot of this series being a wise looking owl in a wizards hat) and I believe this makes for a really great distraction when kids are frustrated with their other lessons. My kids viewed this more as a game rather than actual schoolwork and play it even though they have completed it a few times now using the reset option." - Benda, CA
- "It's simple, it's affordable, and perfect for homeschooling families and non-homeschooling families. It's a wonderful addition to math lessons. And I really think it will help children understand analogies. It will improve their problem-solving skills and reasoning skills, and for identifying and evaluating analogies. If you are trying to improve fine motor skills while working on math problems, I would absolutely recommend checking out the award winning Math Analogies series! " - Kristan, http://munchkinandbean.blogspot.com
- "When I first heard the words “math analogies” I was curious as to what this program was going to include. The only time I remember working on analogies in school was in my high school English classes, and I wasn’t sure how those word analogies were going to compare. Not only was it easy for me to catch on to the way Math Analogies Beginning worked, both my sons had no problem understanding what to do right from the start. I was really impressed with this program. I loved that it helped build critical thinking skills without feeling like typical math problems. Both my sons were immediately intrigued by the analogies and dived in enthusiastically." - Deanna, CA
- "I really liked the way that analogies were presented in a non-threatening way. As a child I always dreaded the analogies on test because I didn't understand the relationships given, but this gives a child practice with analogies and drawing conclusions about similarities and differences between pairs." - The Old Schoolhouse Reviewer
- "Math Analogies stimulated the logical processing of my child' learning while allowing him to relate in an enjoyable manner by drawing pictures." - IParenting Reviewer
- "I planned to have my first grader slowly work through his Math Analogies book all year. He finished in two weeks because he loved it so much!" - Laurie , California
- "This was a great tool to have students think about math other than computation ad word problems. I like how it linked each analogy to the NCTM standards." - Reviewer, Learning® Magazine
- "He loved it so much that he made it to page 10 before he knew it!" - Danielle , Homeschool Parent
- "For my students, it was a great practice in preparation for the end of grade (EOG) math test." - Teacher's Choice Award Reviewer
Test preparation available for the following:
Math Analogies prepares students to achieve top scores on all state assessments including
Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test® (NNAT®)
Cognitive Abilities Test™ (CogAT®)
Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) / Talented and Gifted (TAG)
Wechsler Intelligence Scales for Children® (WISC®)
Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence™ (WPPSI™)
and many more!