Description & Features
Analogies occur in life and frequently in high-stakes tests. Understanding analogies and the ability to reason analogically (reasoning used to identify, evaluate, and solve an analogy) are important problem-solving skills which are an essential part of mathematical development. The immediate benefit is to recognize and solve simple analogies. The long-term benefits are improved reasoning skills that enable students to break problems into their component parts, recognize analogies embedded in arguments, and evaluate them.
The 152 analogies in this 48-page book teach students to break problems down into their component parts, making it easier to recognize familiar formats that enable students to produce solutions. These analogies are designed around the grade-appropriate standards identified by the National Council of Teaching Mathematics.
|Author(s):||Linda and Doug Brumbaugh|
|TOC:||View Table Of Contents|
|Type:||Student Book with Answers|
Dr. Toy Best Smart Play / Smart Toy Product iParenting Media Award iParenting Media Excellent Products Texas Association for the Gifted and Talented Legacy Book Award Nominee
Product Reviews Write a review for this product
- "This was a great tool to have students think about math other than computation ad word problems. I like how it linked each analogy to the NCTM standards." - Reviewer, Learning® Magazine
- "I planned to have my first grader slowly work through his Math Analogies book all year. He finished in two weeks because he loved it so much!" - Laurie, California
- "I really liked the way that analogies were presented in a non-threatening way. As a child I always dreaded the analogies on test because I didn't understand the relationships given, but this gives a child practice with analogies and drawing conclusions about similarities and differences between pairs." - The Old Schoolhouse Reviewer
- "Math Analogies stimulated the logical processing of my child' learning while allowing him to relate in an enjoyable manner by drawing pictures." - IParenting Reviewer
- "He loved it so much that he made it to page 10 before he knew it!" - Danielle, Homeschool Parent
- "For my students, it was a great practice in preparation for the end of grade (EOG) math test." - Teacher's Choice Award Reviewer
Test preparation available for the following:
Math Analogies prepares students to achieve top scores on all state assessments including
Naglieri Nonverbal Ability Test® (NNAT®)
Cognitive Abilities Test™ (CogAT®)
Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) / Talented and Gifted (TAG)
Wechsler Intelligence Scales for Children® (WISC®)
Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence™ (WPPSI™)
and many more!