Description & Features
This 320-page book develops investigative, analytical, and explanatory skills as well as a variety of quantitative and spatial relationships that are an essential part of the foundation of mathematics.
Students who successfully complete this book will see gains in vocabulary development, observational skills, and the ability to process mathematical concepts on a much higher level. The activities are arranged in six sections which address six major strands in the elementary mathematics curriculum.
Number and Numeration
Discussion and analysis of numeration, comparison, equivalent forms, and estimation.
Description, classification, and construction of polygons; composition and decomposition of figures; transformation of figures in a plane; tracing networks.
Builds on number and numeration using conceptual development of multiplication and division. Applies these operations in problem solving. Use of parenthesis in computation, divisibility of whole numbers, and flowcharting.
Integrates number and geometry concepts using length, area, and volume.
Uses order, number patterns, and functions to explore number relations.
Tables and Graphs
Involves organizing, displaying, and using data in a various formats.
|Author(s):||Warren Hill and Ronald Edwards|
|TOC:||View Table Of Contents|
|Type:||Student Book with Answers|
2014 Practical Homeschooling Reader Awards™ - Honorable Mention, Elementary Math Category 2015 Practical Homeschooling Reader Awards™ - 2nd Place, Elementary Math Category Cathy Duffy 101 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum Cathy Duffy Top 100 Award Creative Child Magazine 2012 Book of the Year Award Creative Child Magazine Preferred Choice Award Dr. Toy Best Picks Dr. Toy Product of Excellence iParenting Media Award iParenting Media Best Products Jenkins Group Moonbeam Children's Book Award, Silver Medal Learning® Magazine Recommended Resource for Successful Teaching Mensa Recommended Materials for the Gifted Mom's Choice Awards Gold Medal for Excellence Mom's Choice Awards Silver Medal for Excellence Practical Homeschooling Magazine 3rd Place Reader Award
Product Reviews Write a review for this product
- "Encourages students to develop investigative, analysis, and discussion abilities.…A resource that all mathematics teachers will find at the top of their list." - Arithmetic Teacher
- "My students look forward to doing this book. It prepares them to succeed on the tests and at all kinds of problem solving." - Moritza, Norwood, NJ
- "I teach algebra and the graphing of linear equations to 3rd and 4th graders. Mathematical Reasoning reflects what is good in teaching and learning and proves that what I am doing is appropriate and indeed the most intelligent way to proceed." - Educator, via the Internet
- "My daughter said she's never found a math book that gave her the challenge and satisfaction of this one. The structure and format of the book really made sense to her, and it covers what she needs to know at her grade level." - Monique, Tampa, FL
- "Traditional curriculums teach basic math skills, but the child often misses the underlying meaning of the skills. These books fill that gap by teaching the basic concepts behind the skills." - Harvest Home Educators Newsletter
- "[Develops the] thinking skills necessary for abstract high school-level math." - Christian Home Educators Curriculum Manual
- "We use this book…several times a week. [My] students love to figure out the problems. Many of the problems are similar to those found on standardized and I.Q. tests." - Ellen, Crossville, TN
- "Traditional math curriculums teach basic math skills, which of course are necessary, but the child often misses the underlying meaning of the skill. These books fill that gap by teaching the basic concepts behind the skills.…The activities are fun and not too time-consuming, so students enjoy them while they are learning. The Guides give answers and extensive discussions for the activities.…[T]hey will be a great help." - Peggy, Bedford, GA
- "What it all boils down to is a big book of 282 pages that you can use to practice virtually every elementary math skill. Even topics like symmetry, of which you see very little in typical math texts, are covered." - Mary, Fenton, MO
- "Lessons are challenging, combining visual spatial skills, logic, math, and verbal skills. An underlying goal is preparation for the thinking skills necessary for abstract high school-level math." - Cathy Duffy, Christian Home Educators' Curriculum Manual, Greensboro, NC
- "Your Mathematical Reasoning is amazing. I finally found something that works for my daughter. She's very advanced for a second grader and tells me that most of the math books we'd tried so far are too boring or too obvious. Now she actually wants to do math. What a relief." - Lili, Sherman Oaks, CA
""[Mathematical Reasoning includes] counting and sequencing, geometry, arithmetic, measurement, comparing and ordering numbers, and tables and graphs. In turn, these topics are broken down into subtopics, such as Estimating Lengths or Sums Using Coins. You can thus open the table of contents and zip to a series of problems using a particular skill.
"What it all boils down to is a big book of 282 pages that you can use to practice virtually every elementary math skill. Even topics like symmetry, of which you see very little in typical math texts, are covered."" - Mary Pride, The Big Book Of Home Learning, Fenton, MO
- "My son has never liked math. When he started Mathematical Reasoning it was with the usual groaning--'Do I haveta do this!' A few weeks later, as he was beginning to get the hang of it, he started saying things like, 'This is O.K. I think I like this.' Next came, 'Hey, this is fun!' But then came the words I never thought I'd hear, 'Maybe this math stuff is not all bad.' What a great program!" - Maria, West Covina, CA
- "Practical and simple to apply. Teaches your child skills that will be a tremendous help when they are learning algebra." - Merrilee Defoe, Reviewer
- "As a teacher I like the problem solving activities as these could be used over again or with several students in the classroom." - IParenting Reviewer
- "Mathematical Reasoning presents math in a way that makes it not only simple to learn, but also practical to apply to everyday circumstance (obviously making math more meaningful to him)." - Katherine, Mississippi
- "My son hated math. I saw your curriculum and gave it a try. Wow, what a great fit for my son! Your Mathematical Reasoning curriculum gave him a way to learn math that made sense to him. Thank you!" - Amy, Ontario, Canada
- "For the money, the books are excellent buys and worthy supplements to any childhood students education." - Maxine, Teaching Children Mathematics published by NCTM
- "As a math instructor, I am so happy that it looks like I may have a math-brain in my family after all! He asks to do his math school work (Mathematical Reasoning book) every day!" - Janelle, Math Teacher & Parent
- "Our family loves your Mathematical Reasoning™ series. My son has completed Levels E and F. As a former public school teacher and now a homeschool mom, I have looked at many math curriculums and yours is by far the best I have seen and used. I am so glad you are continuing this series and cant wait to see Level G." - Park, Texas
- "If you are serious about your child's mathematical development, then you need to add critical thinking and analogical thinking to your curriculum. These books are a great addition for any math curriculum and help your child develop important problem-solving and critical thinking skills." - Kari, Curriculum Choice
- "We use The Critical Thinking Co. products as part of our homeschool curriculum. The Mathematical Reasoning™ Level A book has been a wonderful tool. The instructions are easy enough for my kindergartner to read. My son loves math now!" - Elisha, South Dakota
- "Mathematical Reasoning™ books are easy to follow and allow kids to jump around... My sons teacher loved it, as well, saying the math concepts are age appropriate for him." - IParenting Media Reviewer
- "We are completing Mathematical Reasoning™ Beginning 1. My son recently turned 4, and this is by far the best math program that I have found for preschoolers. We go over a few pages every night before we do our bedtime reading. I plan to order the next book in a few weeks." - Jamie, via Facebook
Test preparation available for the following:
Mathematical Reasoning™ prepares students to achieve top scores on assessment tests, including
Otis-Lennon School Ability Test® (OLSAT®)
Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children® (WISC®)
Wechsler Preschool and Primary Scale of Intelligence™ (WPPSI™)
Cognitive Abilities Test™ (CogAT®)
Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) / Talented and Gifted (TAG)
Maryland School Performance Assessment Program (MSPAP)
WA Measurements of Student Progress (MSP)
Massachusetts Comprehensive Assessment System (MCAS)
Connecticut Mastery Test (CTPIII)
Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test (FCAT)
Iowa Tests of Basic Skills® (ITBS®)
Primary Test of Cognitive Skills™ (PTCS)
and many more!