This series uses highly-effective, literature-based critical thinking activities to develop the analysis, synthesis, and vocabulary skills students need for exceptional reading comprehension. The activities are especially effective at helping students understand challenging critical reading concepts such as making inferences, drawing conclusions, determining cause and effect, using context clues to define vocabulary, and making predictions and generalizations.
Students read and analyze short literature passages and stories that include fiction and nonfiction genres. Then they answer multiple-choice and short-response questions, citing sentence evidence to support their answers. Concepts and skills covered in the series include:
Literary Analysis Skills
• Define vocabulary using context clues
• Recognize figurative language
• Identify main idea, supporting details, and theme
• Recognize literary devices
• Identify story elements: theme, plot, setting, and characters
Reading Detective® products include the following genres:
Award-Winning Literature Excerpts
• See individual products for lists
Stories and Articles
The Grades 3–4 (Beginning) and Grades 6–12+ remedial (Rx) levels are organized into single-skills units with a concluding mixed-skills unit. The Grades 5–6 (A1) and 7–8 (B1) levels include mixed-skills throughout. All levels provide an introductory lesson for each skill.
Rx activities are "prescriptive" to help under-performing students in Grades 6–12+ improve their comprehension skills. Reading level is Grades 4–6; story content is Grades 6+.
Includes pretests, post-tests, lesson guidelines, and answers with detailed evidence. Reading and literary analysis skills are based on grade-level standards.
Choose one or the other. Both provide the same engaging stories and critical thinking (comprehension) questions. Review the features listed below for additional benefits offered by the software.
- Includes 51-62 activities per app
- 387-440 questions per app
- Multi-user login (Win only)
- Single-user login (App versions)
- Self-tutoring: detailed instructions, hints, and explanations of answers
- Saves students progress
- Printable student scores (Win only)
- Progress/Award certificates
Important Note: The software versions are for Windows® operating system only at this time (iPad versions are also available). See individual product's System Requirements for more details.