Description & Features
Word Roots teaches students the meanings of Latin prefixes, roots, and suffixes commonly used in English. Learning word elements dramatically improves spelling and the ability to decode unfamiliar words. Word Roots will add hundreds of words to your students’ vocabulary and greater depth to their thinking and writing.
For each lesson students first learn the meanings of prefixes, roots, and suffixes. Then they:
- divide known and unknown words into their elements or assemble elements to form whole words.
- match word parts or whole words to their definitions by analyzing their meanings.
- apply their new vocabulary in sentences.
Includes a Pretest/Posttest, answers, and a dictionary of words derived from Latin roots.
Note: Prefixes, roots, and suffixes are Latin in origin.
|Author(s):||Cherie A. Plant|
|TOC:||View Table Of Contents|
|Type:||Student Book with Answers|
2014 Practical Homeschooling Reader Awards™ - 3rd Place, Vocabulary Category Cathy Duffy 101 Top Picks for Homeschool Curriculum Creative Child Magazine 2011 Preferred Choice Award Informal Education Products Product of the Year Learning® Magazine Recommended Resource for Successful Teaching Mensa Recommended Materials for the Gifted Practical Homeschooling Magazine Reader Award
Product Reviews Write a review for this product
- "This has kept my son's attention longer and taught him more than any other vocabulary program we have tried." - Lisa, Ft. Collins, CO
- "My son struggles with spelling. This program has been wonderful. He's learning and remembering prefixes, roots, and suffixes while having fun. It has also helped him with pronunciation and comprehension of what he reads." - Brenda, Riverside, CA
- "I really love Word Roots Software. Having three different activities for each root word really reinforces the words they've learned." - Marie, Hankamer, TX
- "An excellent educational tool. I am very pleased with the progress of my students….up to two grade levels for some. Word Roots is entertaining to the student, capturing their attention for extended periods of time. I highly recommend it." - Educator, Las Vegas, NV
- "My daughter says Word Roots is challenging and fun. One day when I was trying to figure out a complex word, my daughter said, 'Mom, do you want me to take that word apart for you?' Word Roots is just what she needs to connect with the roots she's already doing." - Mary, Trabuco Canyon, CA
- "I've tutored for many years. When I use your materials, children learn to think more logically and to figure things out step by step. This makes a remarkable difference in their ability to read, do math, or learn grammar, vocabulary, and spelling. I'm seeing test scores rapidly improve as students begin to make logical sense out of word problems, history or language arts. I also tutor in Latin. Your Word Roots software is exceptional. For children who have reading or vocabulary problems, it breaks things down into little, digestible pieces. The game of seeing those buildings go up as they learn each root is satisfying and reinforcing for students. It provides them with the continuity and concreteness they need. Great work, you guys!" - Keri Lamle, Professional Tutor, Colorado Springs, CO
- "My daughter was selected to attend a prestigious school, and I attribute a good portion of her learning skills to materials such as your Word Roots. We loved the book!" - Bernadette, Springfield, VA
- "This program functions exactly as advertised. It gives my kids valuable practice at analyzing the parts of words to determine their meaning." - Elizabeth, Berea, KY
- "The variety of activities to reinforce new concepts is excellent. It keeps my children's attention for much longer than workbooks and they get immediate feedback." - Chris, Sugar Land, TX
- "Good for spelling, vocabulary recognition and deducing the meaning of unfamiliar words by the meaning of the roots." - Marie, Bethel, VA
- "Helps my students learn and remember prefixes, roots, and suffixes while having fun with the lesson. Has also helped with pronunciations and comprehension of what they read." - Brenda, Riverside, CA
- "As a homeschool mom who tries to carefully craft curriculum, vocabulary was not a favorite...UNTIL we found The Critical Thinking Co.'s™ Word Roots workbooks. My son is now looking forward to vocabulary, and he even invented his own words based on roots he has studied. His spelling, also, has been improving because this text breaks down roots, prefixes, and suffixes so my son is breaking down words to formulate the correct spelling. We are very happy to have found this product." - Carol, Maryland
- "Wanting to increase vocabulary, I decided to purchase Word Roots. It is everything I was searching for and more. It goes beyond spelling tests and teaches students to decipher words based upon prefixes, suffixes, and roots. The focus is on meaning, which in turn increases comprehension." - Cecilia, North Carolina
Test preparation available for the following:
Word Roots prepares students for top performance on assessment tests, including
Otis-Lennon School Ability Test® (OLSAT®)
Wechsler Intelligence Scale for Children® (WISC®)
Cognitive Abilities Test™ (CogAT®)
Gifted and Talented Education (GATE) / Talented and Gifted (TAG)
Stanford Achievement Test™ (SAT/10)
California Achievement Tests (CAT/5)
Florida Comprehensive Assessment Test (FCAT)
Iowa Tests of Basic Skills® (ITBS®)
California Standardized Test and Reporting (STAR)
Indiana Statewide Testing for Educational Progress (ISTEP)
Texas Assessment of Knowledge and Skills (TAKS)
Terra Nova (CTBS/5) and Terra Nova, 2nd Edition (CAT/6)
NYC English Language Arts Test (ELA)
Wide Range Achievement Test (WRAT)
High Impact Player Assessment (HIP)
Arizona's Instrument to Measure Standards (AIMS)
Connecticut Mastery Test (CMT)
Georgia Criterion-Referenced Competency Tests (CRCT)
Illinois Standards Achievement Test (ISAT)
Louisiana Educational Assessment Program (LEAP)
Minnesota Comprehensive Assessment (MCA-II)
North Carolina End of Grade Tests
and many more!