Word Roots teaches students the meanings of Latin and Greek prefixes, roots, and suffixes commonly used in English. Learning word elements dramatically improves spelling and the ability to decode unfamiliar words. Word Roots will add hundreds of words to your students’ vocabulary and greater depth to their thinking and writing.
For each lesson students first learn the meanings of prefixes, roots, and suffixes. Then they:
- divide known and unknown words into their elements or assemble elements to form whole words.
- match word parts or whole words to their definitions by analyzing their meanings.
- apply their new vocabulary in sentences.
Includes help and hints, automatic grading, printable scores, and a dictionary of words derived from Latin roots.
- Gr. 4-12+: A1–Latin only, 30 activities, 714 questions
- Gr. 4-12+: A2–Latin plus some Greek, 30 activities, 560 questions
- Gr. 7-12+: B1–More Latin plus Greek, 54 activities, 771 questions
- Multi-user login
- Can be played with or without automatic grading
- Self-tutoring for independent study
- On-screen and printable instructions
- On-screen hints
- Printable scores
- Saves unfinished games
Choose one or the other. Whichever you choose, you can't go wrong.
The Word Roots Flashcards can be used to supplement and enrich our Word Roots books/software products or as an independent teaching tool. Each set of flashcards includes all of the prefixes, roots, suffixes, and vocabulary words contained in the corresponding book or software as well as a dictionary of meanings. The flashcards include instructions for various quick, fun activities to help students learn the meanings and spellings of the word parts and the vocabulary produced from the word parts. Students who learn the meanings of word parts can decode the meaning and spelling of new vocabulary by breaking a word into its word parts.
The Word Roots Flashcards™ software games are organized into what the author considers the optimal learning order, but can be played in any order. Games 1-6 are Study Games to learn the word parts and their definitions. Games 7-10 are Practice Games using the word parts to form words to show that students know the definitions of the word parts.
All of our Word Roots Flashcard™ software can be played independently and provide students the correct spelling and pronunciation of all word parts and vocabulary taught in the software.
Downloadable software can be immediately downloaded from "My Account" under the "My Downloadable Product" section after you place your order.